Kutupalong, the largest Rohingya asylum camp, is at risk of being infected with coronavirus. In the last two days, three Rohingyas from this camp have received positive reports. Therefore, about a thousand Rohingyas who came in contact with the victims have been brought under lockdown. Among the millions of Rohingya crammed into the camps, a Kovid-19 patient was first caught on Thursday (May 14th). Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner (RRRC) confirmed the matter on Friday afternoon. Mahbub Alam Talukder.
Md. Mahbub Alam Talukder said, ‘The person who tested positive for corona on Thursday and six members of his family have been kept in isolation at the Medicine Science Frontiers (MSF) Hospital. The victim is a resident of F block of the camp. To prevent infection, 1,275 houses in the block have been red-marked and locked down with red flags. There are about five thousand people in these houses. There is 24-hour surveillance. The health department will lock down the mosques and other places where the affected people have moved.
Civil Surgeon Dr. Md. Mahbubur Rahman said, ‘Two people were attacked in the Rohingya camp on Thursday and one on Friday. Their families, including the victims, have already been placed under legal action. Besides, preparations are being made in the camp so that it does not spread further. More than 250 Rohingya have been tested before.
Meanwhile, the government has banned the movement of officials on duty at the crowded Rohingya camp in Cox’s Bazar since March 11, fearing that coronavirus infections could spread to refugee camps. Corona infection occurred in the meantime.
According to the Cox’s Bazar Health Department, 151 people, including three Rohingyas, were found to have coronavirus in the district till Friday. So far one person has died in Cox’s Bazar. He is a resident of East Kawar Khop village of Kawar Khop union in Ramu upazila.
Expressing concern over the situation, Syed Ullah, leader of the Arakan Rohingya Society for Peace and Human Rights, an organization of Rohingya refugees, said, “People are scared at the news of the Corona attack in the camp. The camps are crowded, so the risk is high. And many do not know that they can protect themselves from this virus. ‘
Additional Superintendent of Police (Administration) Mohammad Iqbal Hossain said, ‘Social distance in the camp to prevent corona, police will increase patrols there to ensure lockdown. In the meantime, the places have been locked down, including the quarantine of the families and other people who have come in contact with the Rohingyas affected by the tax.
Incidentally, after August 25, 2016, more than seven lakh Rohingyas took refuge in Bangladesh after fleeing military torture in Myanmar’s Rakhine state. Even before this, four lakhs had taken shelter at different times. In all, there are currently more than 1.1 million Rohingyas in 34 camps in Ukhia and Teknaf.