However, no ban has been imposed on the arrival of tourists in the district
The authorities are discouraging public gatherings in Cox’s Bazar in a bid to tackle the coronavirus pandemic that has so far killed over 8,000 people globally, including one in Bangladesh.
However, no ban has been imposed on the arrival of tourists in the coastal region, said Cox’s Bazar Deputy Commissioner Md Kamal Hossain on Wednesday.
He said: “The government has not issued a notice to stop tourists from visiting the top vacation spot here.
“However, we are asking people who are already in Cox’s Bazar to avoid public gatherings. We have also advised them not to get out together and remain at their respective hotels.”
Talking to Fakhrul Islam, assistant superintendent of police at Cox’s Bazar Tourist Police, said: “We have been urging people to refrain from gathering in large numbers and holding any programs here in order to stop the spread of Covid-19.
“We have also made announcements to discourage people from taking showers on the beach.”
Bangladesh recorded its first death from coronavirus on Wednesday along with confirming a total of 14 Covid-19 cases till now.