Committee formed to probe ex-army major’s killing in Cox’s Bazar

Major (retd) Sinha Md Rashed Khan was shot dead by police, reportedly for obstructing a police search

Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal has said a probe committee has been formed over the killing of retired Bangladesh Army Major Sinha Md Rashed Khan.

He made the announcement while speaking to journalists at his Dhanmondi residence at around 12pm on Sunday.

Maj (retd) Sinha was shot dead by police in Teknaf on Friday.

“The committee is probing the matter and it is not yet the right time to comment on it, as it can hamper the investigation,” Kamal said.

When asked about the alert issued regarding a militant attack and the bomb blast at Pallabi police station that Islamic State claimed to be their work, the home minister said: “As we have always said, militancy has not been completely eradicated. Militants are trying to be organized in different ways but they do not have the resources or power to attack on our soil. However, some of them have sleeper cells.

“But our security forces are keeping a close eye. That is why no attack has taken place,” he added.

“Some website say or claim different things after a militant attack usually takes place. The militant groups promote themselves in this way.

“And in such cases, it is the responsibility of the law enforcement agencies to pay attention to whatever the propaganda is,” Kamal also said.

“Our law enforcement agencies are a doing good job under immense pressure, so that people can enjoy the Eid holiday without any fear,” the minister further said.

Why did police shoot dead the former major?

On Friday, police shot dead Maj Sinha reportedly for obstructing police work in Teknaf, Cox’s Bazar.

The incident took place on the Marine Drive Road at Baharchhara of the upazila around 10:30pm on Friday.

Cox’s Bazar Superintendent of Police ABM Masud Hossain confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune.

He said: “Acting on a tip-off, Teknaf police set up a check post on Marine Drive looking to bust suspected robbers onboard a vehicle. When police stopped the former army officer’s vehicle and tried to search it, he pulled a gun on the police personnel, prompting the police to shoot him in self-defence.”

The critically injured ex-army officer was rushed to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital, he added.

Dr Shaheen Abdur Rahman, resident medical officer at Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital, said Sinha was brought to the hospital at 2:00am on Saturday. “His autopsy has been completed.”

Two people were also arrested and Sinha’s firearm was seized. Meanwhile, two cases have been filed in this regard.

After searching the former army officer’s vehicle police found 50 yaba pills, some marijuana and two bottles of foreign liquor, the SP added.